Sunday, April 24, 2011

Digital Memories: 1991

Pictures truly are worth a thousand words.  Over the last few months, I have been scanning in many of our negatives, and completing our digital library.  While I undoubtable have thousands of negatives to go, I can't help but share some of the pictures I have recovered so far.  Given the wild and crazy clothing, I have permission from specific children to post these pictures!  I hope they bring back to you the same loving memories as I had when I first saw these pictures come back to life on my computer screen!

We started in Portland Oregon, and stopped at the Tetons first.  Truly magnificent mountain range, and a beautiful valley to the east.



As you can see, taking pictures the old fashioned way was not always as sure fire as it is today with digital cameras that let you see the shot immediately.  Occasionally, the pictures were out of focus, but the photographer had no clue until it cam time to see the negative, usually days or weeks after the shot.  Oh well, you can still see the bright colors of the 1990's.  This is three ham bones high above the RV cab.


Mom usually found a way for Tiffany, Jennifer and Terrill to stay occupied while I was driving.  Typically, I got up early and drove.  Kids would wake up a hundred miles down the road, have breakfast, and get going while we were driving.  Around noon, we would stop at our first sightseeing location, grab lunch, and explore.


Some kids enjoyed time to themselves - listening to tunes and drawing, while we were cruising down the road... ah, the simple life... music, drawing, and a road trip!


We took in many fun places... Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore,  and the Devil's Tower (home to the major scene in Close Encounters of the Third Kind).  Note the subdued colors of the very comfortable clothing!




Laurie hand drew the shirts we wore at the family reunion!  Here is the whole family, June, 1991, standing in front of the RV in Wisconsin.


While in Wisconsin, the kids did a lot of fun activities... fishing, horseback riding, playing cards with distant relatives, hiking through the woods, boating on a pontoon boat and many more!  These are just a few of the classic photographs.  For the record, Ashley did not enjoy the horse solo, but with her sister, this was fun.


Terrill apparently plays cards much better when his sister helps him decide what to play.


After the reunion in Wisconsin, we travelled south to visit historic Church sites.  We actually drove over the Mississippi river, and then took a ferry (RV and all) back across to Nauvoo.  



We also stopped in Provo, to show the kids both where Mom and Dad spent two years, and to show them where they would be spending time during their college years...never hurts to set expectations early.


Please let me know if you enjoy these fun pictures from long ago.  As I found out yesterday, we have hundreds of pictures yet to go.  I plan to share them with all of you on the blog, but also make them available on CD, once we get them organized and labelled.

Have a Happy Easter!

Love Dad.





3 comments:

Leslie M said...

I am not your target market but I enjoyed them!

braden said...

The wolf shirts are awesome - I think we need a reprisal

James said...

Fun trips down memory lane